● Name : Epimedium extract Icariin
● Other name：Epimedium davidii Franch
● Source：EpimediumdavidiiFranch leaf
● Latin name： EpimediumdavidiiFranch
● Ingredient： Icariin
● Specfication ：5%-98% Icariin、10:1
● Test methods：HP676.66
● CAS No.： 489-32-7
● Molecular Formula：C33H40O15
● Molecular Weight： C33H40O15
● Appearance： brown yellow powder
Epimedium, also known as barrenwort, bishop's hat, fairy wings, horny goat weed, rowdy lamb herb, randy beef grass or yin yang huo , is a genus of flowering plants in the family Berberidaceae. The majority of the species are endemic to China, with smaller numbers elsewhere in Asia, and a few in the Mediterranean region.
Epimedium species are deciduous or evergreen hardy perennials. The majority have four-parted "spider-like" flowers in spring.
The plant contains icariin, which is a PDE5 inhibitor like sildenafil, the active ingredient of Viagra. It is therefore used as an aphrodisiac and a treatment for erectile dysfunction.
Species of Epimedium are herbaceous perennials, growing from an underground rhizome. Their growth habits are somewhat variable. Some have solitary stems, others have a "tufted" habit, with multiple stems growing close together. There may be several leaves to a stem or the leaves may be solitary, produced from the base of the plant. Individual leaves are generally compound, often with three leaflets, but also with more. Leaflets usually have spiny margins. The leaves may be annual, making the plant deciduous, or longer lasting, so that the plant is evergreen. The inflorescence is an open raceme or panicle, the number of flowers varying by species.
Individual flowers have parts in fours. There are four smaller outer sepals, usually greenish and shed when the flower opens. Moving inwards, these are followed by four larger petal-like inner sepals, often brightly coloured. Inside the sepals are four true petals. These may be small and flat, but often have a complex shape including a nectar-producing "spur" that may be longer than the sepals. There are four stamens.
What is ircan
Icariin is a chemical compound classified as a flavonol glycoside, a type of flavonoid. It is the 8-prenyl derivative of kaempferol 3,7-O-diglucoside. The compound has been isolated from several species of plants belonging to the genus Epimedium which are commonly known as Horny Goat Weed or Yin Yang Huo. Extracts from these plants are reputed to produce aphrodisiac effects, and are used in traditional Chinese medicine to enhance erectile function.
It is thought that icariin is an active component of Epimedium extracts, as it has been shown to share several mechanisms of action with compounds used in Western medicine to treat impotence. In particular, icariin is a weak PDE5 inhibitor in vitro and to enhance the production of nitric oxide, as well as mimicking the effects of testosterone in rats.[unreliable medical source?] It is a weak antioxidant and has antidepressant-like effects in mice. It also has neuroprotective effects in rats.
(1) Stimulate nervous system, promoting sexual function.
(2) Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antitussive, anti-asthmatic and eliminating phlegm.
(3) Tonifying kidney and boosting male virility, alleviating rheumatism, strengthening the muscles and bones.
(4) Lowering blood pressure and blood sugar.
(5) Anti-cancer and enhancing immunity
(6) Restraining staphylococcus and delaying aging.
1. Applied in pharmaceutical field, it is mainly used as pharmaceutical
materail to treat asthenia of kidney, impotence, spermatorrhea,
prospermia, cold extremities, acroanesthesia or convulsion, etc
2. Applied in the field of health care products, it was used in capsules, health food, oral liquid, health care wine and other alcoholic beverages, which has good health-care effect on human cardiovascular and endocrine system, delaying aging.